It is the beginning of garage sale season. In our notoriously cloudy city, the end of a long and blustery winter brings people outside at the first sign of sun. People are ready to do spring cleaning, and garage sales are popping up all over! When our street decided to have a neighborhood tag sale, I definitely wanted to be a part of the action. I’ve been scavenging through closets looking for things we no longer want or need.
Doing a project together (like a garage sale) is a great way to bond as a family. But can a yard sale be educational too? I believe the answer is “yes!” Here are six tips to make a garage sale educational:
1. Develop language and reading skills: Did you know that there are lots of kids’ books and videos about garage sales? (My next blog will have a list.) Develop your child’s vocabulary before or after your sale by reading a book together.
2. Writing skills: Get older kids involved by having them help write newspaper and online ads. Even younger kids can help with the signs.
3. Art: Speaking of signs, designing and decorating signs can be a great way to develop artistic talents!
4. Math skills: Preparing for a garage sales involves math skills such as organizing and sorting. Even young children can help with this task! At the sale itself, get kids to practice the skill of computation when a customer makes a purchase (and consider teaching the lost skill of counting change).
5. Social skills: Use a garage sale as an opportunity to teach social skills! Teach kids how to use manners as they speak to customers. (This skill is important when shopping at garage sales too!)
6. Teaching generosity: At our last garage sale, we kept track of the money from the sale of the kids’ toys. Our boys were then able to spend some of that money, but we also asked them to give away part of the money to charity. A garage sale can be a great time to teach generosity!
Time for me to clean out some more closets! Look for a list of books on the topic of garage sales in my next blog. (And please comment with your favorite garage sale tip!)